My Review on Wake Up Homestay Yogyakarta
As a bagpackers, I choose hostels most of the time, for obvious reasons: It’s cheaper and you get to meet more people! Hotels are a bit too “cold” for me but I do get my fix every now and then. Not going to be an extremist there. During my trip in Yogyakarta, one of the place I stayed in was Wake Up Homestay Yogyakarta, a beautiful hostel catered for backpackers that is located 5 minutes away from the main street of Malioboro. Fully air conditioned upon entering, the place gives you a really comfortable feeling the moment you goes through their door. It’s no surprise why their ratings on Agoda are exceptionally high.
Facilities in Wake Up Homestay Yogyakarta
- Locker – GREAT SIZE (fits BOTH 65L and 25L Deuter Bagpack together)
- Fast Wifi – personally tested it
- Fully air conditioned facility including the lobby
- Breakfast provided for guest – they invested in chocolate spread as well….
- Filtered water at the lobby
- Mini library – in the midst of expansion, there are not much books yet
- Food, massage, laundry service are all within 3 minutes of walking
- Tea all day long
- Rooftop chill out area
- Saturday free events! – they will bring guests on off the beaten paths adventures on Saturdays for free
The Room & Bed
I booked a bed in a 10 person dorm for RM35 per night (which was a really great deal considering the comfort that I got). Confession: I am very afraid of bedbug, so I tend to check the bed before I jump on it. The beds in Wake Up Homestay actually looks new! Perfectly clean, comfortable, springy bed greets me when I went into the dormitory with clean towels on top of it. They even provide comforter for their beds! Not a mere blanket but a thick comforter. I admit that they really go out on a limb to ensure the tenant’s comfort.
I did mention that they have a great size for their locker and it’s something that is really important for a lot of guest considering how some travel for a really long time and they need a spacious locker to keep everything in. For me as well considering my 65L Deuter bagpack can be really bulky sometimes.
Why I like the place?
- The staffs are real friendly. In fact, after we went on a short Saturday trip together, they are not staffs anymore. They are actually friends now and I can see myself finding them again if I ever drop by to Yogyakarta
- Speedy wifi is always a must for me to catch up with my work and I love to work at lobbies. I like how their lobby is a closed area and their aircond is kept on all the times. Creates a perfect environment for me to work and I don’t have to head out and find a cafe to work at.
- Their location is so near to everything! Food, massage places and laundry are all one street crossing away.
- They provide tour packages as well and are really honest with their recommendations. I took my Mount Merapi tour with them and it went all so well.
- Stefanus, the owner, is one of the friendliest guy I ever met! He was smiling all the time and he made the hostel experience very homey for a solo traveler like myself.
If you are ever dropping by to Yogyakarta and you are looking for a clean place in the middle of town, I’d recommend you this place. Please say hi on my behalf to Stefanus, Kalang, Yudith and Feri! 😀 You can check the rates for Wake Up Homestay Yogyakarta at Agoda. Or just click the button below, it’ll lead you there.